Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Where to buy cardboard shipping cartons for raw speakers?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jcharles00's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys,
    I've been googling and not having any luck, so I figured I'd ask here...

    I'm getting ready to sell my ER-15Ls on ebay, but I don't have any good packaging for them. I'd like to get some cardboard boxes that have an extra piece with a circular cutout in the bottom, but I can't find them anywhere. any clues?

    thanks!
    Jesse

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Not really, but liquor boxes obtained from the local vendor's trash are quite sturdy and you can cut out your own inserts, though using expanding foam to fill the void is about the best. Otherwise use the cardboard motor locating ring, 'crush' tube and flange end insert and fill the voids with styrofoam peanuts. Of course in each case the driver should be in a plastic trash bag. If you're really paranoid, then make the top, bottom inserts out of cheap CDX grade plywood s-c-r-a-p-s and screw the driver to the flange end one.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jcharles00's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2006
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the expanding foam sounds interesting. any recommendations of foam product? how far will one can get me?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a good question, but unfortunately have no experience with it beyond receiving drivers packaged this way from driver manufacturers which I assume use some sort of bulk two part mixing system shot through a special mixing gun. WRT the foam cans sold at Wal-Mart, etc., my limited experience using them around the house implies one can might do two 15" drivers if the boxes aren't too much larger. This stuff really expands, so doing a little at a time is probably best. Considering how well it bonds to stuff I wouldn't worry too much about filling it to the brim, though it's easy to plane down with a Shurform file or similar if it expands over the top.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use regular 18x18 boxes. I bolt the woofer to a piece of 3/8? plywood and cushion the top and bottom of the box with 1-1/2? high-density foam. Dow building insulation from a home center works well. Another tick I learned long ago was to use a piece of foam to support the magnet side to side. 6

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't packed many myself, but have received a bunch, which is the end where you see the results of various packing methods. Some observations;

    Nothing beats the factory packing. Get some or replicate it. (Marty's drawing looks like a good replication assuming proper materials).

    Leave the expanding foam to those experienced in packing with it.

    Hunt down the POS SOB that invented foam peanuts, and make him eat them...all...every last, freakin' one, until none are left on the planet. Then wrap his bloated, lifeless carcass in a couple layers of bubble wrap (what he SHOULD'VE invented), and send it to his family via United States Package Slammers.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ December 10, 2007 07:24 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like to use 17" square boxes rated at 275 pounds, they're usually dual layer cardboard. These 17"x17"x9-5/16" boxes look interesting from U-line!!


    Uline S-7339

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    my suggestion would be to buy a couple of new speakers from bill at great plains audio, and when you get your new speakers..you'll have some boxes to ship out the old ones in. of course i save mine and use them to send old altecs back to bill for service. hope this works for you

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dave's linked boxes are listed as 4x1 gallon units. Likely that's a common size used at one of the Perdue food court kitchens. Might check with the lunch lady.

    forums (Sloppy Joes, slop-sloppy joes) forums

  10. #10
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Come on bfish, tell us what you really think of them peanuts. I once got a pair of 802's in a small cardboard box cushioned with packing peanuts. Fortunately only one of the connectors was broken. And this was from a big time used speaker dealer in LA.

    Jim N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.